Issue with course's final grading result

Jump to solution
Community Novice

Hi... can someone help me to explain how the system compute my final grading result? I do not quite understand how it come out that percentage (capture of the result is attached). Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Huong,

Your course is using assignment groups, which groups specific types of assignments together. Your course appears to have Discussions as an assignment group, which shows you have not earned any points. So that may be a factor. If you have questions about how the assignment groups are set up in your course, please contact your instructor.

Good luck!

Erin

View solution in original post

James
Community Champion

@19090021  

I would add that your course is using a weighted gradebook. That means that not every category counts the same.

Your grades page should contain a block that shows the weighting. It may look something like this (except have your course weights instead of mine).

348862_pastedImage_2.png

To calculate your grade, you multiply the percentage for each category by it's weight. Ignore any categories that don't have grades in them. Then you divide that by the sum of the weights for the categories that are used. If the sum of the weights is more than 100%, then just divide by 100% and there is an opportunity for extra credit.

These numbers aren't your weights, but they will give an example of how to compute your grade. Let's say the teacher has these weights and you have the scores.

GroupWeightScore
Assignments0%
Checkpoint5%100%
Discussion10%0%
Exam50%70%
Final Exam20%
Project10%
Workbook5%100%
Total100%64.29%

Here's how you come up with the 64.29%.

You only use checkpoint, discussion, exam, and workbook since those are the only ones with grades in them.

You have 100% of 5 points, 0% of 10 points, 70% of 50 points, and 100% of 5 points. That is 1.00*5 +0.00*10+0.70*50+1.00*5 = 45

The sum of the weights for the used assignment groups are 5+10+50+5=70.

When you take 45/70, you get 64.28571429, which is where I got the 64.29% from.

The number of points in each assignment group (500, 100, 100, 1500) have nothing to do directly with the actual calculations, it's the percentages that are used. Indirectly, the percentage is determined by taking your points of an assignment group divided by the possible points so far for that assignment group.

View solution in original post