cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlbryan
Community Participant

Late policy with multiple attempts on a quiz

Jump to solution

When using the late policy, If a quiz has been allowed to have multiple attempts and is set to take the highest score, If the newest submission is late the late policy overrides the highest score function and applies the policy to the newest score on the test. Has this been caught in the beta testing? I would think that if the teacher allows the highest score grab on the multiple attempts, that it would apply the late policy only if the newest score was the highest, or override the late policy.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, @volzk 

The idea you referenced has a note at the top as commented by Instructure; it links to the known issue, which states that the ticket has been shelved by the product team. More investigation will be required as the Gradebook is not compatible with the existing functionality.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
57 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Jeremy,

This use case has been considered, though no changes are being pursued at the moment. No configuration will work perfectly for everyone because of the various workflows being used with multiple quiz attempts. And instructors do have a manual override option within their control if they do not want the late policy applied to a grade in the Gradebook. 

Our team will continue to watch how this functionality is used generally among instructors and make any adjustments if necessary in a future release.

Thanks!

Erin

junyang8
Community Participant

In our testing of the late and missing policies, we have found the quizzes assignments are not updated by the late/missing policies. Any input? 

JBeyer
Community Participant

We have teachers who would love the late policy to work as Jeremy describes, as you monitor this functionality.

Hi, Jason,

I checked Canvas Studio and I don't see any feature ideas that suggest this idea. I'd recommend adding it so that our product team knows this use case is important to you! 

Thanks,

Erin

Mario_Guerra
Community Member

We're having this same issue at our institution in a large 800 student course, so manual overrides for this many students is time consuming.  Here's a scenario that should be considered.

A student takes a quiz and makes a reasonable 8/10 for a score. They are told and canvas shows it this way that it will use the highest score of their 3 attempts.  So that 8/10 should be the absolute lowest they can score now. Now the student is prepping for the exam by using another attempt (after the due date)… they get a perfect 10/10! EXCEPT it is 5 days late so they get a -10 penalty and get a zero. Canvas should be comparing the ZERO and the 8/10 and award the 8. However, Canvas compared before the penalty – then awards the 10 minus 10 penalty for a ZERO.  Apply the penalty, then compare the scores – high score wins.

kmatson
Community Participant

Canvas I am sorry but I agree with Jeremy. The penalty should only apply to late work not work that was turned in on time so why would the penalty apply to a quiz turned in on time? That doesn't encourage students to try again. 

Erin I am assuming the manual override is to go and mark it not late?

I am very disappointed with the new gradebook and one penalty for everything.  Now we penalize work that was submitted on time. I hope you will consider rewriting this.

Karen Matson

kmatson
Community Participant

Erin,

How do we manually change it? I changed it to None in the grade tray which erased the score. I went to SpeedGrader and used the Update Score at the bottom and got a grayed out value in the grade area in SpeedGrader. The score does show in the gradebook but this is a lot of steps to fix this issue. Is there an easier way?

Thank you,

Karen

kmatson
Community Participant

Can anyone explain how this works if faculty take the average score? I am confused and will share a screen shot and hope someone can explain this.

quiz stats student view

Thank you,

Karen

kowens
Community Participant

I have formulated an idea that folks in this conversation might support: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14282-make-late-policy-affect-only-attempts-submitted-after-th.... It appears Canvas is aware of the problem and is having conversations about it. Still, consider voting up my idea if you think it's what you're looking for.