Looking for "enrollment drop" information within Canvas Live Events: is it there?

Jump to solution
pgo586
Community Contributor

I've been looking closely at Canvas Live Events (Caliper format) to find in there enrollment adds and drops, as it would be an ideal place to find that type of information (essentially enrollment transactions). However, after careful inspection, I've only been able to find 'enrollment adds' in there but not drops. To be clearer, I believe there is a chance that 'Modified' live events which refer to enrollment objects as the object of the event, may actually include enrollment drops in there too (as one could think of a particular 'drop' event as a type of modification event performed on an enrollment). However, even if I'm right about this, I see currently no way to distinguish these 'drop' events from regular 'modified' events via the current live event attributes. For those of you who've been working with live events in either format (Caliper or raw), have you been successful at finding this type of information yourselves? If so, could you please share where you've found it?

On the other hand, if an Instructure expert is reading this and can provide an authoritative answer on this question, that would be great too, of course. Thanks in advance. 

Quick update after receiving information from Instructure: turns out that there are documentation examples which show how manual enrollment drops are represented within Canvas Live Events (see https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.data_service_caliper_basic.html). However, in my experience this does not seem to cover SIS-based enrollment drops, so I'm leaving this post open until I get more information from somebody about that case in particular. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
igustafson
Instructure
Instructure

Looking into this I found the guide you found for API is the best information we have on our enrollment data. I checked and didn't see anything specific on dropped items in this case. I'd check with your SIS provider to see if they have a log of some sort other than pulling the import from Canvas. 

View solution in original post

pgo586
Community Contributor

Thanks @igustafson for your input. I actually do have access to another source of information for this type of enrollment data - a database used by our custom SIS synchronizer software- although it would have been quicker to obtain it from live events. 

I've received further communication from Instructure (thanks to Kelly Ohmen, our CSM!) that confirms what I had suspected: that there are no 'enrollment drop' live events for SIS-based drops. While the reason is not clear (and unfortunate, I think), that at least answers my question. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes