Missing Feature - Need Individual Assignment Scores and Points (separate values in gradebook)

Jump to solution
CorrineCoats
Community Member

Hello, I am requesting a feature be added to Canvas to fix a very annoying weighting and grade sync issue between Canvas and Synergy.

When creating assignments in the Synergy Grade Book, we are able to assign a "max score" and a "point value". This makes is very easy to give feedback in the form of a score, and also weigh the assignment using the point value. 

This is not a feature is Canvas, and so when I sync grades - it really messes up my weighting system. 

Here is an example of the problem:

I assign two assignments on Canvas. They are both in the "homework" assignment category. Assignment 1 has 50 multi-choice questions, assignment 2 has 12 constructed response questions. In Canvas, if I want to give my student a raw score, the assignments are worth 50 and 12 points. Right now, the assignment 1 is "worth" almost 5 times more than assignment 2. (I know its possible to do some crazy math when I grade so that both assignments are out of 50, but that would be confusing to both me and my students).

The problem gets worse when I pull those grades into Synergy - as Synergy has a separate value for the max points and the point value. When it syncs it puts both the "max points"  and the "point value" as 50 and 12. 

The "point value" is the weighting mechanism in Synergy. This makes sense to teachers and students and does not require advanced math on anyone's part. Teachers also have the option to make the two values equal to each other if that makes sense to them or they don't do weighting.

The simplest way to solve this problem would be to add "max points" and "point value"  options when creating assignments in Canvas. 

Adding "points value" to assignment settings would:

-allow weighting to individual assignments within categories
-provide raw score feedback to students without effecting the weighting
-eliminate the need for students and teachers to do complicated math
-provide more seamless syncing between Canvas and Synergy

Please add "point value" to assignments.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@CorrineCoats ...

You've posted your suggestion in the wrong area of the Canvas Community website.  Please go to this link, Canvas Ideas and Themes - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com), and click on the blue "View and Submit Ideas" button.  On the next screen, click on the blue "Submit an Idea" button.  You will first want to review these Guides before you submit an idea: Community - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).  And, you may find that there is a similar idea already submitted by a fellow Community member.

Hope this helps a bit.  Sing out if you have any questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes