Module requirements for different student groups

Jump to solution
NickStunnenberg
Community Member

Hi there,

I (an instructor) have set-up a module with different tasks. Some of these tasks will be only available to half of the students, while the other half will be able to see the other tasks (they will be randomly divided into two groups).

I've set a requirement where "students must move through requirements in sequential order", but I'm wondering if this affects student progress since they will not be able to see all tasks that are included in the module. Are they able to correctly complete the module while only having half of the tasks available to them or will this result in issues when finalizing?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Nick Stunnenberg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @NickStunnenberg 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with module requirements. The short answer is yes- this  will work without issues. If you have assignments in  module 1 that are to be submitted and only assigned to a specific section A, then the prerequisite in module 2 to complete all of the previous modules/work in sequential order will not affect the students in section B. I confirmed this with two separate students in my sandbox and both were  able to move onto the following module despite not completing ALL the assignments/requirements in the previous module. If the student wasn't assigned to an assignment, they will not be held accountable to finish said assignment to move forward with modules. Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post