Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schw0814
Community Participant

Multiple Scroll Bars

Jump to solution

Hello community!

Why are there three scroll bars that show up now when I'm logged into a Canvas course?  Is there a way to revert back to the previous view?

Thanks!

SarahScroll Bars.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @schw0814 ...

The newest scroll bar (which you have pictured as #2) was just released this past weekend.  You can find out more about this by visiting the monthly Canvas Release Notes:

As it relates to the scroll bar labeled #1...when I look at your screenshot, it looks like your screen resolution is big enough so that not all global navigation icons fit within your screen, so therefore Canvas is providing you a scroll bar to access those buttons that cannot be seen on your screen at the moment.  For example, I also have a similar scroll bar on my personal laptop at home, but I don't have that on my work laptop because I have some larger monitors at work which give me more screen real estate.  However, if I were to use the zoom controls within the browser to zoom in to something like 150% or greater, then the scroll bar would show up for me.  So, it depends on screen resolution and your browser zoom settings.  There isn't a way to remove the new scroll bar...as far as I know.  The Feature Idea associated with this new behavior was to make the course navigation menus "sticky".

As it relates to the scroll bar labeled #3, that one looks pretty standard since you have a page of content that has more content than can fit on the screen.

I hope this helps a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @schw0814 ...

The newest scroll bar (which you have pictured as #2) was just released this past weekend.  You can find out more about this by visiting the monthly Canvas Release Notes:

As it relates to the scroll bar labeled #1...when I look at your screenshot, it looks like your screen resolution is big enough so that not all global navigation icons fit within your screen, so therefore Canvas is providing you a scroll bar to access those buttons that cannot be seen on your screen at the moment.  For example, I also have a similar scroll bar on my personal laptop at home, but I don't have that on my work laptop because I have some larger monitors at work which give me more screen real estate.  However, if I were to use the zoom controls within the browser to zoom in to something like 150% or greater, then the scroll bar would show up for me.  So, it depends on screen resolution and your browser zoom settings.  There isn't a way to remove the new scroll bar...as far as I know.  The Feature Idea associated with this new behavior was to make the course navigation menus "sticky".

As it relates to the scroll bar labeled #3, that one looks pretty standard since you have a page of content that has more content than can fit on the screen.

I hope this helps a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

John_Lowe
Community Champion

I'm noticing the same issue, but it seems like the #2 scrollbar is somewhat incorrectly sized. In our environment, users must use #3 to scroll down far enough to see the bottom of the #2 scrollbar.  Very annoying, and this default behavior hides the last few course nav items. More precisely, the #2 scrollbar is offset by the exact amount of the course content pane header window.  Scrolling #3 moves the header up so you can see the full height of the #2 scrollbar.

sdierk
Community Member

I understand the need to demonstrate to users that they may need to scroll down to see all buttons on the Global Nav menu, Course Menu, and page. But, as has been noted, a smaller monitor is often plagued by having to scroll to the bottom of the full page before having the option of scrolling to the bottom of the menu. That can be annoying and certainly interrupts navigation flow.

I frequently work on a 15" monitor. If I am at full-screen and 100% zoom, I get all 3 Scrollbars. I have to zoom out to 75% before I get down to just a single bar. As a designer, I often have to zoom in on a screen to get screengrabs and videos as illustrations for helping faculty and students. This means that icons and course menu items are either too small or partially obscured by scrollbars depending on whether I decide to zoom out to get rid of the bars or zoom in to attempt providing clear images of what I'm doing.

Having the ability to manage each menu independently of the content area is a nice idea, Perhaps it would be possible to do that using less obtrusive scrollbars? Maybe have the bars show up only when the user's cursor is hovering over the margins of each display area controlled by a bar?