Multiple Step Assignment with Multiple Grades

Jump to solution
LauraCarver24
Community Member

My students are completing a graphic organizer in preparation for an essay, and I want to grade several steps of the process. Here's some information: they will be working within one graphic organizer.  We will start by grading their claims and reasons.  This will be one grade.  The next grade will be inside the same graphic organizer and will come from their first body paragraph.  The final grade will use the same graphic organizer, and they will be graded on the rest of graphic organizer elements.  The students will continue to work within the same graphic organizer, but if we have them submit a link to their Google Doc, they can continue working and moving on before we give them feedback and we want to prevent that.  

Is there a best way you would recommend doing this? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
TrishaMeyer1
Community Contributor

Hi @LauraCarver24 ,

If I'm understanding correctly, you want to use the Google LTI to distribute a graphic organizer, and you want to "lock out" the students from editing the files at certain points in the process. Canvas doesn't really allow you to control access to Google files that way, but you can try this (I have not tried this on my own files, so I'm speculating here):

When you use the Google Assignments LTI, Canvas creates the student files in a folder in your Google Drive called Assignments. You can go to that folder and find a file folder for each of your Canvas courses within. Inside the course folder you will find a folder for each assignment. Find the folder for the graphic organizer assignment (in it you should see a file for each student), and open the Share settings for the entire folder. Change the settings for everyone but you, the Owner, to Viewer. When you are ready for the students to proceed, change the settings back to Editor.

As far as I can figure, this method will work only with the Google LTI because that is the only way through Canvas that you are the Owner of the folder in Google Drive.

If you try it, I would love to know if it works!

View solution in original post

0 Likes