Multiple roles for one person

Jump to solution
PauliinaPunnone
Community Explorer

I found out today that it was possible for one person to have two roles in one course (teacher and student), which didn't allow them to access for example Item Banks. After changing the role to teacher only, they could access the banks. However, I believe it should not be possible to have two roles? At least when I tried this in my sandbox course, I could only have one role, teacher or student. How is it possible to have two roles?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

@mzimmerman ...

Actually, it is possible for someone to be enrolled as a Teacher and Student in the same section of one course.  For example, I was initially enrolled in my sandbox course as a Teacher, but then I manually enrolled myself as a Student via my e-mail address.  I refreshed my screen, and now I'm both a Teacher and a Student in the same section.

Screenshot 2022-10-12 113118.jpg

I had a situation a few years back where an instructor wanted to see exactly what a student would see in a third-party LTI (Turnitin, if I recall).  But, when the instructor tried to do grading for other assignments that also used the LTI, he was getting an error message because the Turntin LTI couldn't figure out if he was a Teacher or a Student.  As soon as we removed the Student role from his course and returned him only to a Teacher, things were fixed and he could grade again.

View solution in original post