Neutral comments html is too long, max length is 5120 characters

Jump to solution
martin_van_der_
Community Novice

On some math problems in quizzes, I am using the "General answer comments" to provide students with an explanation of the solution.

I try to remain concise but often get the following message: "Neutral comments html is too long, max length is 5120 characters"

Why such a limitation? Any way I can override it?

Also wanted to report some buggy aspect of this error message:

• If a question generates the "max length is 5120 characters" error upon clicking on "Update Question", the error disappears whether I remove or add anything to the comment before clicking "Update Question" (regardless of the length of what was added or removed).
  • Something frustrating is you're only warned about your comment being too long after you click on "Update Question", and if you do click on "Update Question"  while your comment is too long, it seems you lose all your latest edits!
2 Solutions
shepa107
Community Novice

I also found this while adjusting a typo in the question itself----I did not change anything in the comments area. You're little workaround, however, has proven to be a useful fix for the time being, but something is definitely wrong as I am not touching the comments whatsoever.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ddessauer
Community Participant

I’m experiencing this error. It was a (necessarily) long detailed comment, so I took it into another workspace to edit it, where I found I wasn’t actually close to the stated limit. Then I thought the character count is probably related to the html length, not just the actual text, so I took all that into an editor. It’s still only around half the limit!

I followed the advice of deleting a line break. Then I saved it successfully. Then I was actually able to go back in and re-insert that line break and save again, so I think I now have my text back to how I wanted it, without the error message reoccurring. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes