New quizzes - Pool of questions within a quiz

Jump to solution
DWIGHTSOUDER
Community Member

I'm not sure if this is possible within Canvas, but within New Quizzes, is it possible for each student to receive an unique set of questions?  For each question, I'd like for the Quizzes to pull from a small bank of questions.  For example:

Possible question #1, What color are leaves?

Possible question #1, What color is the sky?

Possible question #1, What color is dirt?

Then, for the next question, the questions are pulled from a separate pool.  For example:

Possible question #2, What is your mom's name?

Possible question #2, What is your dad's name?

Possible question #2, What is dog's name?

Possible question #2, What is sibling's name?

Then, something similar for the following questions...

Then, one student my get the questions of:  What color are leaves? And What is sibling's name?

Another student may get:  What color are leaves? And What is dog's name?

And another student may get:  What color is dirt? And What is your mom's name?

So each students' quiz, for each question, Canvas is pulling from a small pool of questions.

Is this possible?  If so, are there any tutorials (online or video) that someone could direct me too?

Thank you in advance!

Dwight

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@DWIGHTSOUDER Yes, this is possible in both classic and new quizzes.  In classic you used question groups but in New Quizzes (since that is what your question asks) you create item banks and then when you link those to a quiz, you can select how many questions to pull for each student.

Here is how you create the banks:  How do I create an item bank in New Quizzes? - Instructure Community  I recommend making the names very helpful such as "Quiz 1 - Question 1 Options".

Here is then how you bring them into the quiz as random choice:  How do I add all items or a random set from an ite... - Instructure Community  

Hope this helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post