cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create an item bank in New Quizzes?

How do I create an item bank in New Quizzes?

You can create item banks in New Quizzes. Item banks can be used to store questions for use in other assessments. You can use your item banks in any course where you have permission to create and edit an assessment using New Quizzes.

Open Quizzes

Open Quizzes

In Course Navigation, click the Quizzes link.

Open Assessment

Open Assessment

To open an assessment, click the title of the assessment [1].

To create a new assessment, click the Add Quiz button [2].

Open Item Banks

Click the Item Banks button.

Add Item Bank

Add Item Bank

Click the Add Bank button.

Name Item Bank

Name Item Bank

In the Bank Name field [1], enter the name of the item bank. To save your bank, click the Create Bank button [2].

View Item Bank

View Item Bank

View your new item bank [1].

To view your item bank options, click the Options icon [2]. To edit the item bank, click the Edit option [3]. To delete the item bank, click the Delete option [4].

Comments

Once I click "Edit", this is the screen I get which doesn't allow me to do anything but rename the empty quiz bank.

lmpahs_0-1597336214470.png

I can't add any questions to my newly created quiz bank. 

Is the only way to add new questions to item banks in new quizzes by creating them within a quiz and then selecting "Add to Bank" under the Item Banking menu?

Thank you!

UPDATE: Nevermind, I found the menu to add questions to individual item banks 😊

@Impahs

To add new questions to the banks, click on the three dots located next to the Return button at the top of the page (as shown in this picture: https://media.screensteps.com/image_assets/assets/002/667/130/original/4791ceef-89c1-40a5-9d69-d9b45...)

There is an option titled "Manage Item Banks" which will take you to a new page where you can view your banks, add new banks, and add new questions to existing banks.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your help but it's still not working.

If you look at my picture in the original post, I clicked on the little dots, clicked "Manage Item Banks" and got to that screen. There is no way to do anything from that point on other than give the new bank a name.

I also tried adding a bank from a quiz that I created by hand. I get to the same spot...I can create a bank with a name but when I open it, I get the message "There are no questions in this bank yet" and no other buttons, links, etc. to click to add questions. 

lmpahs_0-1597434452528.png

I imported some questions from Examview. Some of them went into a Canvas quiz and some of them went into a Canvas bank. I I click "Manage Item Bank," I can create a new bank and add questions. If I click on a quiz and click on the little piggy "Item Banks" icon I get the above problem--I can add a Test Bank name but I can't add questions. 

lmpahs_1-1597434702582.png

This is very frustrating. I have seen videos of Canvas navigation menus that have a Question Bank icon next to Quiz icon. What is going on? Thank you for your help!

@lmpahs - To clarify some of the confusion showing up in the comments: In New Quizzes, you need to create the question in the quiz. At the bottom, there'll be an option called Item Banking. If you click it, you can choose to which bank(s) you want to add the question. It took me a few tries tonight to figure this out. You can't add questions right into a bank as far as I can tell.

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 8.56.42 PM.png

@bengaynor & @lmpahs  

I am not sure if this feature has to be enabled by your administrator, but it is possible to view all question banks and add new questions to those banks without having to add them to a specific assessment first. I recorded a short video showing this: https://youtu.be/8n237DLXgvM

Hi @lmpahs,

Looks like you've had some great suggestions/comments for your question. If you have any further questions, feel free to reach out. 

Thanks @bengaynor and @amysaldana for your helpful suggestions and videos. ❤️

Naomi

I hope this isn't answered here already, but I have several question banks available when I work with "old quizzes" but none of those show up as options in "new quizzes." Also, if I import a question bank using Respondus 4.0, it only shows up as available in "old quizzes." Does this mean I cannot upload a question bank into "new quizzes?"

Thank you,
Jeff

Hi Jeff ( @jmiller16 )

Right now you cannot convert a question bank to an item bank. Until the development work is completed for Question Banks to convert to Item Banks, questions can be imported manually into an Item Bank by exporting Canvas quizzes.

• In Classic Quizzes, create a new quiz with the name of a question bank.
  • In the Questions tab, select the Find Questions button. Locate the question bank and select all questions. Click the Add Questions button.
  • Save the quiz.
  • In Course Settings, click the Course Export button; select the Quiz Export type. Export the ZIP file when completed.
  • In the New Quizzes menu bar, click the Manage Item Banks button.
  • Create a new item bank. 
  • Open the Item Bank. In the menu bar, click the Import Content button.
  • Click the Import Content button.
  • Locate the exported ZIP file and import it into the item bank.

Item Banks will not allow additional content to be imported once questions have been added to a quiz. However, individual questions may be added manually.

Cody

These comments are posted to the global Canvas Community,

NOT your Canvas course.

• Have a question about using Canvas? Visit the Q&A page.
  • Have an idea to improve Canvas? Visit the Idea Conversations space.
  • Need to reply to a course discussion? Log in to your Canvas course and add your comment there (Tip: Visit your school's website to log in to Canvas).
Version history
Revision #:
8 of 8
Last update:
Wednesday
Updated by: