Option to Disable Student submission comments in Assignments

Jump to solution
bhmills
Community Explorer

Is there a system-level or course-level way to disable student assignment comments in Canvas? To my knowledge and testing, faculty are not notified of these comments. Please let me know if there is a way to immediately notify faculty when a student posts an assignment comment.

Recently this is causing us problems, as students are posting questions before or when they submit an assignment and expecting a reply and faculty are not seeing them until they go in and grade.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Hi @bhmills,

I don't know of any way to disable that functionality.  I think it's basically considered core functionality of Canvas.

According to the  Canvas Notifications - Instructure Community - 387041  guide, submission comments should by default have a notification setting of "daily summary", meaning teachers should receive an email once per day with all of the comments made during the last 24 hours.  Teachers could change that setting to "immediately" if they wish, but unfortunately there is no easy way to change default notification settings globally.

I hope the info is helpful, even if it's not quite what you were hoping to hear.

-Chris

View solution in original post