Prerequisites and Requirements

Jump to solution
ZachAbbott
Community Member

Hi there

I'm curious if it's possible to set up prerequisites and requirements based on non-sequential completion. 

For example, I would like to have the first two chapters of a course completely accessible to start a course for a student but have the third and all future chapters subject to requirements. 

Then, when they've unlocked the requirements for the first chapter, the third chapter is then open to them and so forth down the line. 

This would allow students to be able to see two chapters at a time. 

I'm at a DL school and we're running into issues with students only being able to access one chapter at a time and then being stuck until we're able to mark their work. If they had access to two chapters they could continue on while they waited for us to mark the first chapter. 

Is this possible? 

Thanks!

Zach

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@ZachAbbott -

It sounds like you know about the restriction that can be used to make modules accessible based on completion of certain requirements.  if not here is the instructor guide page for 

Then based on what you are wanting to do, i would do the following 

• Put each chapter information in its own module
  • Post modules for chapters 1 and 2 with  restrictions of completing all tasks
  • for the chapter 3 module, make its prerequisite dependent on completing module 1
  • for the chapter 4 module, make its prerequisite dependent on completing module 2
  • Then just keep alternating them.

According to the manual pages, the above should work.  However, I tried it out in my playground, and I could not get the dependent module to lock. Edit:  I tried it in an active course and they above worked.  Set modules 1 and 2 with complete all items as a requirement (and all subsequent modules as well).  Then set the prerequisite for modules 3 and higher based on the procedure above.  Below is a student view screen shot for 4 modules - something strange happened in making this setup in that I could not add prereqs to any module and I had to reload the page to do it.  

module pre-req.png

You may have to reload your module page to get it to work if it stops allowing you pre-reqs.  Also, have it set up correctly before students can view the modules - otherwise they may have access to a module they aren't supposed to (I did that inadvertently when testing this out)

View solution in original post