Prevent Downloads to Protect Proprietary Videos

Jump to solution
brynac
Community Explorer

Our K-12 school is looking for a good way to prevent students and parents from downloading proprietary videos and recordings of online classes. So far, we have been recording them through a variety of means and uploading them straight to Canvas, but it's very easy to download the videos from the content editor and Files area. 

Are there any other services or tips for preventing the videos from being downloaded? 

I realize that, if someone is serious about saving videos, there are ways to get around any security measures we take (screen recordings, using a phone's camera, etc.), but the administration would like to take whatever steps we can take to protect content. 

Thanks for any help you can provide! 

1 Solution

Rick,

Thanks for the reply! That's very helpful to know! I'll make sure teachers know to add videos that way instead. I didn't realize that videos added that way don't appear in Files or that they go through that useful of a conversion process. 

One issue I did find, though, is that the new rich content editor makes it very easy to download videos. Just right click on the video, and a "save video" option appears. (With the old rich content editor, "save" could do the same thing.) I haven't found a way to disable it. 

Any thoughts on a way around that? (Besides asking families to sign that they won't do it as part of the agreement?)

We have a hybrid private school that includes homeschooling as an option. The concern is that families might have one child attend (and pay) for a course that we offer, then download the content and use it to teach their other children at home later. In the past, less content was published online, but that certainly changed at the end of this school year, and we don't know what the 2020-21 school year will bring yet. 

Anyone who really wants to do it will find a way around it, but if that option isn't quite so easy to find, then it would be a welcome deterrent. : ) 

View solution in original post