cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Problem with AM/PM when setting time in assignment due dates

Jump to solution

We've encountered a bug in the assignment tool, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. It occurs when setting the due date or availability date. If a time is entered and PM selected from the dropdown list, it actually saves as AM.

For example: In the calendar used to specify the due date/time, set a date and enter 5:00 as the time. Then choose PM from the dropdown list. After clicking "Done" to save the changes, it displays simply as 5:00 and if you go back in to edit the due date/time, it is showing as 5:00 AM.

A workaround is to enter the time in 24Hr format, for example as 17:00 PM. This is fine as long as you don't open it up again to edit the details, as this will cause it to revert to 5:00 AM.

I suspect this appeared during the last production update as I know there were a few other bugs at that time. I'm not sure if it's a known issue so I've logged a support ticket but I'm interested to know if it's affecting anybody else.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Apparently it's because we're using UK English - which seems the sensible thing to do as we're in the UK. No offence to any US community members but personally I prefer UK English. Smiley Wink

There was actually a discussion (which I missed) about a similar issue quite recently:

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/14570

I'm not in the office for the rest of this week so haven't had chance to try it out with different language settings, I'll discuss it with my team when I get back next week.

View solution in original post

17 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Steve_Watts , I just tried this a few times and didn't have the issue. The PM seemed to stick just fine with no work-arounds needed.  Please let us know what you find out from Canvas Support.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @Steve_Watts ​...

I'm not seeing this behavior, either.  Hopefully Canvas Support will be able to figure out what is going on inside your Canvas instance.

Steve_Watts
Community Champion

Apparently it's because we're using UK English - which seems the sensible thing to do as we're in the UK. No offence to any US community members but personally I prefer UK English. Smiley Wink

There was actually a discussion (which I missed) about a similar issue quite recently:

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/14570

I'm not in the office for the rest of this week so haven't had chance to try it out with different language settings, I'll discuss it with my team when I get back next week.

View solution in original post

Sorry! I should have caught that! Glad you found it!

joel_mills
Community Participant

We too are seeing this issue with our installation of canvas.

We are also on the UK english settings.

I will post a video here showing this issue in effect soon.

update:

https://universityofhull.box.com/s/k3aahyxu9zyjbap8td317epsp6ivu7if

joel_mills
Community Participant

I can confirm that changing the language setting to US english solves the problem. This is obviously an issue as we are UK based and do not use US english.

Please can this be escalated or answered by the Canvas team?

Thanks.

joel_mills
Community Participant

Yes we found the problem, but no, this isnt a solution.

@joel_mills , if you would like this investigated by Canvas Support, please submit a help ticket by clicking on the Help menu in your Canvas account and selecting the Report a Problem option. To save yourself time in writing the description, you can include the link to this discussion in your ticket.

a_birch
Community Participant

Hi Steve

Have you progressed this with Canvas at all?

If no - I'll happily raise a helpdesk ticket.

Andy