Process for fixing problems with existing Canvas features (rather than adding new ones)

JonS47
Community Member

I'm new to the community and just started using Canvas a few months ago. There are some nice features, but overall I've been mostly disappointed. There are numerous basic features that all teachers would want that are missing or do not work the way they're supposed to, it's been very frustrating.

My question is where do we suggest fixes to the already existing features in Canvas? I can see that the forum allows us to suggest new features to add, but there are numerous existing features that do not work as they should. Are we supposed to go through the same long process of voting on the idea to fix an existing feature that is broken?

For example, Canvas doesn't allow you to make an assignment extra credit. That is an extremely basic feature that should have been included from the start, not something that we should have to vote on for months or years until it gets added.

Another example: There is no way to automatically release assignment answers after the due date. When you click the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" box, no matter what other options you select, it will show all the answers as soon as the student submits the quiz, even if you have the box checked to only show the answers after a certain date. Thankfully I had an honest student inform me of this, otherwise students could have been sharing answers all semester since they got to see them immediately after submitting, even before the due date and before the date I set for the answers to be released. Because of this broken feature, every Saturday I have to go and manually release the answers for all assignments from the week. And it hurts my students as well, because I'd like them to be able to see what they got wrong (but NOT the answers) when they submit a quiz, so if they do a 2nd attempt, they know what to focus on. But I can't set it up that way because it shows the answers no matter what boxes I check or what date I set to release the answers. This feature is clearly broken and needs to be fixed, we shouldn't have to go through a monthslong voting process to fix this.

A third example: Canvas does not allow you to grade using percents. This is another extremely basic feature that should have been there from the start. I have activities that are all worth different amounts of points but I want them to be weighted the same for grading so I want the scores to be in percents, not points. In order to do this, I either have to edit every assignment and force them all to be worth the same number of points (which will result in some questions being worth 1.8333 points and other awkwardness like that), or do what I ended up doing, which is recreate another set of blank quizzes worth 100 points each and manually re-enter the scores for all my quizzes. It was a huge pain, and again, a clear example of a feature that should have been there from the start.