Unknown export of my course

Jump to solution
ebard
Community Member

Hi,  an export of one of my courses was made and my course is not shared on the commons.  Is there a way to find out who may have expored my course content?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @ebard,

While on your course export page, if you add "/api/v1/" to the URL right after your Canvas domain (so it would look like https://school.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/123456/content_exports ), you'll see some text output showing details of your course exports.  One of the fields in this text is the numeric Canvas user_id of the person who did the export.  Now, unless you're an admin, you may not be able to take that numeric user_id and figure out who it is, but there's one trick you can try.  If you go to your course People list and add a / and then the numeric user_id you got from the last step to the end of the URL, you'll end up on a page with the user's info if they are enrolled in your course.  If the user is an admin, you'll likely receive a page error or something similar.  This may at least give you some idea of what happened though, and you could always ask your local Canvas team (usually in the eLearning / IT / Digital Education areas) if they'd identify the person for you based on the Canvas user_id number.

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post