cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatieBaker
Community Member

Question Banks

I teach at two schools and can't seem to find a way to create a test and question banks at one and port them over to another. Since we have size limits on our courses, I get an error when i try to import a course export. Is there a way to export classic quizzes with question banks?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bowmanr
Community Champion

@KatieBaker -

edit: Just remembered that I should show you the manual page for what I described below:
https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-select-specific-content-as-part-of-a-co...

I was going to test this out first, but my school has disabled the course export feature for instructors.  Is it possible with a course export to import selected content?  You have this feature in the import content for a course.  I can do this when I select the import content from an existing course.  You select the course and then you have the option for selecting the content - which means you can just select the quiz and question banks.  

I do not know if that would work when you export the content for a course (I seem to remember that there may have been a possibility to select what content to export - or export the entire course) and then try to import that content file - my guess would be that you would have that option to select which information to import as well.

Looking at the import option and selecting import a canvas course export package, the option does exist

canvasImport.png

Ron

KatieBaker
Community Member

Thanks! I have discovered another way, suggested by my Ed Tech folks. If you use your question bank to create a quiz (by selecting all the questions in it, not by creating a question group), and then you export the quiz, you can import that easily and create a question bank from it in the new Canvas shell. For example, if I have an exam labelled "Axial Skeleton" and I insert all the content from the Axial Skeleton question bank, I can export/import the quiz into my new Canvas shell (at another institution) and then it will create an Axial Skeleton Quiz question bank. I can either keep the imported quiz unpublished or delete it, but the question bank will remain. 

bowmanr
Community Champion

@KatieBaker - You are welcome Katie.  That way works as well.  I am just not sure which way is less work for you.  For now at least you can do what you need to do.