Question about group work and communication between group members.

Jump to solution
sandra_minton
Community Novice

I want the students in my class to be able to work with each other in groups. I have figured out how to form groups, but cannot figure out how those in each group communicate with each other. There seems to be no way for them to e-mail each other or is e-mailing each other even necessary? A box appears when I form the groups. Do the student communicate by way of this box?

1 Solution
orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @sandra_minton and welcome to the Canvas Community!

A group in Canvas is like a mini Canvas course for the students in the group. This is a work space that the students can use to collaborate. To see what a group looks like to students go to the group set and then click on the vertical dot menu at the right side of the group name. Click the menu and then select the "Visit Group Homepage" option.

You will see in the group a menu like below:

Students can use the announcements menu to send announcements to everybody in the group. They can see the members in the People page. They can setup their own discussion boards, share files, use the Conferences feature to have live video meetings and use the Collaborations link to share Google and Microsoft docs to the rest of the group.

So you can it is a full collaboration space. Now, know that many students will setup their own work groups using Google Drive or other things and figure out how to do things on their own.

Please let us know if you have any other questions about groups.

Best,

Randy

View solution in original post