Question bank synchronization with a classic quiz

Jump to solution
w_mackie
Community Member

I have built a quiz by finding and importing items from multiple question banks into the quiz. When editing a question, is it best to do so in the question bank or the quiz?

Moreover, how do I keep them in sync with each other? (Should I edit in the question bank, and the quiz will be updated, or something else?). How does publishing a quiz alter this workflow? (If I unpublish a quiz, does that allow any new edits in the question bank to carry over to the quiz?)

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @w_mackie 

If you edit the question in the quiz directly, it will only affect that quiz specifically. If you plan on using the revised question in future quizzes, it is best to edit it within the question bank itself. Then it will be this version for every quiz moving forward. Unpublishing the quiz doesn't really have any affect on an edited quiz or not. You can't unpublish an assignment after a single student has taken it. So if you unpublish it before any student takes it, they'll only see the current version with edits after you publish it again. Additionally, if you edit the question in a question bank but that question is already being used in a real quiz - it doesn't automatically update it. You'd need to delete the question bank and re-add the question group in the quiz. This way, the updated question will populate. Hopefully this helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes