Quick Question - annotations

Jump to solution
DanaeEdsall
Community Member

Hello,

I am struggling with annotating student submissions. I'm currently learning about SpeedGrader, and I read the help site that said that the annotations tool bar does not come up with text-only entries. However, I teach a foreign language, and often the homework assignments or assessments I give require me to give a large amount of individual annotated comments. How can I annotate a student's work if they submit a text entry? Is it impossible -- do I need to only permit the file upload option (i.e., PDF or .doc)?

Thank you for your assistance -- please let me know if I can clarify anything. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

@DanaeEdsall ...

It seems to me that having your students submit a Word document or a PDF would be a better way to go rather than have them submit a text document.  You certainly could limit the types of files that your students could submit to you.  For example, you might limit it to a PDF and a DOCX file (*.doc files like you've mentioned in your original question are the old file extensions for Microsoft Word documents).  In this Guide, How do I create an online assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com), there is a section on "Restrict File Types" that shows you examples on how you can specify certain file extensions that you will only accept.  For example, you could type in:

docx,pdf

I hope this helps a bit.  Sing out if you have any other questions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes