Quiz Log Accuracy

Jump to solution
LinetteC
Community Member

What are the reasons a student's quiz log would indicate they stopped viewing the quiz if they DID NOT leave the quiz?  Does it automatically mean they were cheating when we see this? Or could there be another explanation?

0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @LinetteC,

While I don't know every situation that would cause that message to appear in the quiz log, I did want to point out that Instructure's official documentation on the quiz log says, "Quiz logs should not be used to validate academic integrity or identify occurrences of cheating."

I can imagine that perhaps a system (windows/mac) notification could pop up on their screen and just closing that technically means the web browser doesn't have focus for that split second.  If they are on a mac, they could have gotten an imessage and wanted to check if it was important/urgent.  Now granted, you may tell student not to do that and may choose to deduct points if they do, but there are probably a multitude of similar scenarios that students could run in to.

Overall, I'd really just recommend sticking to Instructure's recommendation and not using the quiz log to try to identify cheating/academic integrity issues. 

-CHRIS

View solution in original post