Quiz not displaying questions bug (Updated)

Jump to solution
helfco
Community Participant

We had multiple students with this problem. They would start the quiz and see a blank screen with no questions.

We logged in as the students on multiple browsers and saw the issue so it's not a browser problem.

Canvas said it's due to the instructor originally publishing a quiz with no questions in it, then students start the quiz and don't see questions displayed, then the instructor edits the quiz, but because the attempt has been started the quiz won't display the questions on the resumed attempt.

I created a test quiz myself with no questions in it, and confirmed this is what happened.

Not sure why Canvas lets instructors publish quizzes with no content in them.

The workaround fix was to give the students a second attempt and then submit the first attempt.

1 Solution
helfco
Community Participant

I called Canvas myself after posting this, but felt it was important enough to check here first to see if anyone else had this issue.

They said it's due to the instructor originally publishing a quiz with no questions in it, then students start the quiz and don't see questions displayed, then the instructor edits the quiz, but because the attempt has been started the quiz won't display the questions on the resumed attempt.

Not sure why Canvas allows instructors to publish a test with no questions in it.

I haven't heard back from the instructor to confirm this on their end. I posted it here to see if anyone else had this same experience or if it was a system wide issue.

The video may be helpful if any other instructors run into this issue down the line.

View solution in original post