Quizzes: Linking to question bank, but keeping the point value as defined in the bank?

Jump to solution
JGreenCTC
Community Member

I would like to create quizzes that have random order for questions and answers.  It appears the only way to do this is to create a question group and link a question bank to it.  When you do this though, Canvas asks how many questions you would like and what point value each question should be worth.  I have questions in the bank that may have multiple answers, or on matching questions I give points based on the number of matching parts there are.  I assign each question in the test bank a point value when I create it.  Is there any way to use the value in the question bank instead of telling Canvas to choose X questions with Y point value each while still allowing me the ability to make my questions in a random order?  I do not want to manually have to make a new question group for each question as I make a quiz to get both features.

0 Likes
1 Solution
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @JGreenCTC 

First, with "classic" quizzes, you do not need to use question groups in order to have answers displayed in random order.  You just select the "Shuffle answers" option in the quiz settings:

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.42.06 AM.png

As for displaying the questions in random order, the reason the all the questions in a question group must be worth the same number of points is because questions in the question group are randomly selected, and may include only a few questions from the question bank.  If questions in the question group can have different points, then different students could end up with different points possible on the quiz.

The only way to do what you want is to make different question groups for each of the different question types that you want to include, or the different point values--say, one question group for all the 5-point questions, and one question group for all the 10-point questions. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes