RE: Dropping the Lowest Score but Keeping a Zero Penalty for Cheating

Jump to solution
berwin
Community Contributor

I have a rule set for an assignment group to drop the lowest score.

However, a few of my students cheated on a few of the quizzes, so I gave them a zero for those particular assignments. Problem is, Canvas drops the Zero that I want them to keep.

Anyone have any ideas on how to rectify this?

I'm thinking I'll have to create a new assignment group with those quizzes, only assign the students that cheated to those quizzes, assign a weight and a zero. Then, go back to the original assignments and re-assign the whole class, except those who got a zero.

I'm also wondering if the weights will be okay, since the new assignment group will also be weighted. Will it go over the 100%?

Lastly, can this be a feature request? To make exceptions to the lowest score rule? i.e. "do not drop zeros for these particular students."

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@berwin -

in the assignment group where you are dropping the lowest score, you can also select an assignment to never drop (from the same edit spot).  the only problem with that is that it will apply to all students so some students may not get their lowest score to drop.

it would be nice if you could select which students that applied to, but that is not possible currently.

another option you could have (you will have to try it out and see if this works).  Create another quiz assignment for those students that cheated (differentiated assignment - just assign it to them).  The other students wont see it - only the students that you assign it to.  Then put it in as the never drop assignment, excuse them on the original and then see if it drops the correct score for those students.

edit - the above seems to work.  Create a differentiated assignment for the students that cheated, excuse them from the original and then add the special differentiated assignment to the don't drop list.

View solution in original post