Randomized questions with randomized answer picker

Jump to solution
MariaDorfer-Fri
Community Member

Hello Canvas Community!

As a teacher I would like to use in the new quiz randomized questions in combination with randomized answer picking to prevent cheating. The preferred question type is multiple choice.

For example:

A question has 12 answers but only 4 randomized answers will be picked for the question in a quiz. This makes it much harder to cheat: student A will probably get the same question, but not the same answer choices for this question, as student B.

We would really look forward to a solution to this topic.

Thanks!

Maria

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

I do not know about picking only 4 out of 12 possible answers. If truly random, this introduces the potential for it to randomly pick 4 incorrect answers, preventing the student from even getting the question correct. A possible solution would be to have multiple correct answers out of the 12 options, but then you also run into the situation where students could randomly draw multiple correct options to select.

Another possible solution would be to create an item bank with multiple similar questions. As a math example, imagine 10 different math equations that are all similarly testing single digit multiplication. The quiz randomly pulls 5 questions. Each student may get different questions than the person next to them, making it harder to cheat, but because they are all similar in design, you can reliably evaluation student mastery of single digit multiplication.

With multiple choice, you can randomize the order of the questions, but I'm not sure you can randomly pull from a pool of answers.

View solution in original post