Re-order Rubric

Jump to solution
briddell
Community Participant

When an instructor adds a new item to a rubric, we cannot place it in the correct order. A google search found us this:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructional-Designer/How-to-Reorder-Rubric-Criteria/bc-p/268429

which seems ridiculously complicated for a simple change that Canvas could make. We can drag and drop assignments, and module contents, can you also please add drag and drop capability for Rubrics? Apparently the code is simple enough (see link above)

Thank you.

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
gnoack
Community Champion

Hi Briddell. 

That would be a great feature and one I would use.   Until Instructure adds that feature, what I have done is use the duplicate criterion to make copies of the rows in the order I need them.  Copies are added to the bottom, so you just need to copy them in the order you want, then delete the criterions that are out of order or duplicates. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Hello there, @msakura ...

There is an existing Feature Idea that I authored back in 2015 called Editing Capabilities for Rubrics - Instructure Community which I would invite you to support.  You can leave a comment on that Feature Idea letting Instructure know why this would be important to you in Canvas.  You can also give my idea a star rating.  You can find out more about the star rating system in How do idea conversations work in the Instructure ... - Instructure Community.

@msakura wrote:

It seems like it should be such a simple thing to make happen...

Yes...sometimes what we *think* seems relatively simple to implement isn't always the case however.  A fuller description of the complexities of Canvas can be found in What is the feature development process for Instru... - Instructure Community.

Finally, I would encourage you, if you haven't already, to try out the script that James wrote, Sorting Rubrics Made Easy - Instructure Community.  Yes, there is a lot to read...but what you'll really want to focus on are three main steps which won't take you very long at all.  Two of these steps are outlined at the top of his blog post under "Quick Install".  Install the Tampermonkey plug-in within your Chrome browser.  Then, download/install his script in Step #2.  This shouldn't take you more than a couple minutes.  Next, scroll down his blog a bit to the first video (under 1 minute in length).  The screens are from the old Canvas interface, but the functionality is pretty much the same.  Also, instead of going to "Outcomes", you'll go to the "Rubrics" course navigation menu.  From there, you'll be able to go into a rubric and arrange the row order.

Finally, James is great at helping with questions about his scripts, so if you run into any difficulties, I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions...thanks!

View solution in original post