cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rachel_bachman
Community Participant

Remove Rubric from assignment issue

I just did a little experiment. I created a rubric from the assignment page. When I went to delete the rubric (using the trash can icon) the rubric was completely removed from the course (I checked the manage rubric area).

I then created a rubric from the "Manage Rubric" area. I added it to the assignment (same assignment as above). And then I deleted the rubric from the assignment (using the trash can icon). This time when I went back to check the manage rubric area in outcomes, the rubric was still there. 

To me that is really weird behavior. It seems like no matter where I create the rubric, it should stay in the course even if I want to remove it from an assignment. 

I am curious if others have the same experience and I am curious as to why it behaves like this. Or, am I doing something weirdly wrong?

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Tags (2)
14 Replies
SteveCovello
Community Member

The solution is surprisingly simple.

Edit the settings for the assignment to make it a non-graded assignment, then save. No more rubric! 

If you still need to make a graded assignment, edit the settings again and make it graded, but don't add a rubric. If you need to attach a different rubric, edit the settings to make it graded again and then add a different rubric.

Note that this should only be done with assignments that do not already have student submissions!! You will likely wipe out their grades or worse.

jawmedina
Community Participant

@rachel_bachman wrote:

I just did a little experiment. I created a rubric from the assignment page. When I went to delete the rubric (using the trash can icon) the rubric was completely removed from the course (I checked the manage rubric area).

I then created a rubric from the "Manage Rubric" area. I added it to the assignment (same assignment as above). And then I deleted the rubric from the assignment (using the trash can icon). This time when I went back to check the manage rubric area in outcomes, the rubric was still there. 

When created from the Assignment, a rubric is only attached to that assignment. If it is attached to other assignments, the rubric shouldn't get deleted from the Manage Rubric Area when it gets deleted from the original assignment.

When it is created in the Manage Rubric Area, it is not assignment dependent so it will stay there even if it is deleted from the assignments. 

@jawmedina This is not the case. I experienced this exact problem where a preset rubric in the Rubric area was deleted from the course after I had trashcanned it from one of the assignments it was attached to (thus, deleting it from all the other similar assignments). I always create the rubric first, then attach it. The solution I proposed is, in my mind, the safest one to pursue.

crapp1
Community Member

Try making sure the rubric you are deleting with the trash can is attached to another assignment. I duplicated the assignment and the rubric was now attached to two assignments. I deleted the rubric using the trash can on the original assignment and attached (or created) a new rubric. I left the other assignment unpublished to retain the other rubric. If you delete the assignment, you delete the rubric (unless it's attached to another assignment).

I hope that helps. 

Try this:

1. Duplicate Assignment
  2. Delete Rubric and Attach New Rubric to the original assignment
  3. Keep the copy with the rubric you want to save unpublished. 

I hope that helps. 

Community Participant

Hi all. I had this same problem and found another workaround that doesn't involve keeping duplicate assignments. 

1. In your course, go to Settings > Import Content > Copy a Canvas course
  2. Look up your very same course and "Select specific content"
  3. When the select content button appears, there is a "Rubrics" category. Find the rubrics you want,  check the associated boxes, and Import.
  4. When the process is done the duplicate rubrics will appear tin the "Rubrics" area of your course with names like "Original Rubric (1)" But importantly, they will behave like rubrics added from the Rubrics section, not like Rubrics created in an assignment. 
  5. Delete the original rubrics from the assignments.
  6. Rename the duplicate rubrics to remove the (1)
  7. Add the rubrics back to the assignments whenever you're ready for students to see them.