Rename file on submission / autorename to format

Jump to solution
TorenT
Community Novice

Is there a way to rename a file while I'm submitting it, or set up a system to auto rename a file when I submit it to abide by a certain format?

In my file system I format names a certain way, however my teachers want me to format them in a different way. The format my teachers want me to use does not work with the way I manage my files, so I'm trying to find a way to keep my current file system and format my filenames in the way my teachers want them to be formatted.

If it matters, here is how my teachers want me to format my filenames: `{initials}_{assignment name}_{class}_{date}`

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@TorenT ...

There's nothing I can think of directly in Canvas that would let you re-name a file so that it meets your instructor's requirements.  How about this, though...

1. On your computer, make a duplicate copy of your file.
  2. Re-name the new copy of your file based on what your instructor is requiring.
  3. Submit the re-named file.
  4. Optional (delete the newly re-named file from your computer since you already have the original)

This would allow you to preserve your original file using your preferred file naming convention.

I realize this might be an extra step or two in your process, but it would take care of meeting both your needs and your instructor's needs.

View solution in original post