cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sabrams
Community Participant

Rubric and speed grading

Jump to solution

how do I add a rubric to an assignment for speed grading?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Community Champion

@sabrams ,

How you do this depends on the type of assignment: discussion, quiz, or regular assignment. The Canvas Instructor Guide has a whole section on rubrics, but here are three of the documents that may help.

If you want to be able to use the rubric for grading, then you need to make sure that you check the box that says "Use this rubric for assignment grading." This is explained about half-way through the document on adding a rubric to an assignment. This option is not available for quizzes.

One final note. If you are using an external tool, then you must create and save an assignment. Then attach the rubric to the assignment. Finally, after the rubric is attached, you can go back and change the assignment type to be an external tool.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
James
Community Champion

@sabrams ,

How you do this depends on the type of assignment: discussion, quiz, or regular assignment. The Canvas Instructor Guide has a whole section on rubrics, but here are three of the documents that may help.

If you want to be able to use the rubric for grading, then you need to make sure that you check the box that says "Use this rubric for assignment grading." This is explained about half-way through the document on adding a rubric to an assignment. This option is not available for quizzes.

One final note. If you are using an external tool, then you must create and save an assignment. Then attach the rubric to the assignment. Finally, after the rubric is attached, you can go back and change the assignment type to be an external tool.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sabrams ...

I'll just add to James' response that once you are comfortable adding rubrics to your assignments and you want to try a bit more advanced way of adding rubrics, take a look at his "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) called Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet.  This "Canvancement" isn't a part of the core Canvas product, but I use it all the time when I build courses, and it literally saves me hour and hours of work (again, thank you James!)

sabrams
Community Participant

Chris…thanx so much for taking the time to help me understand…Sandy

sabrams
Community Participant

Thanx James…

sabrams
Community Participant

Thanx Steph…

I have followed the steps provided for adding a rubric, but it still doesn't total on its own. What am I missing? 

gnoack
Community Champion

Hi @KatherineLong 

Make sure you that you check the box that says "Use this rubric for assignment grading." This is explained about half-way through the document on adding a rubric to an assignment. To access the setting, click to edit the rubric from the assignments page (not edit the assignment itself). 

I often forget to check that box. 

How do I add a rubric to an assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Thank you. I somehow missed the rubric edit step in following these directions.