Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmckie

Rubric not populating grade in speedgrader, part 2

Jump to solution

I found this in older questions but the answers did not help me.  I am using Chrome on a PC.  When I grade a discussion board using a rubric (same rubric as I used for the last discussion board), even when I save, the grade is not populated.  The completed rubric saves, it just does not fill in the grade.  Since the grades are recorded as percentages, I would have to calculate the percentage for every student.  What do I need to do get the grade to populate?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@dmckie ‌, navigate to the assignment that is using the rubric and edit the rubric to enable the "Use this rubric for assignment grading" checkbox. From that point forward the rubric values you enter or click on in SpeedGrader will automatically populate the grade field. The blue box at the top of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12931-4152724107 details this.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@dmckie ‌, navigate to the assignment that is using the rubric and edit the rubric to enable the "Use this rubric for assignment grading" checkbox. From that point forward the rubric values you enter or click on in SpeedGrader will automatically populate the grade field. The blue box at the top of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12931-4152724107 details this.

Stephanie, is this a two-step process when adding an existing rubric to a discussion? (Must I both add the rubric and then edit the existing rubric after it is added to ensure the "Use for grading" box is checked?) I assumed that this was accomplished when I clicked on "Use this rubric" when selecting the existing rubric, but when I then "edited" the rubric to confirm the setting, I was surprised to find that it did not default to "Use for grading." Thanks!

You are correct,  @melissa_kamp ‌, in characterizing it as a two-step process. An instructor needs to (1) add the rubric and (2) edit the newly added rubric to enable the "Use for grading" checkbox.

I cannot find this checkbox for the life of me. Where is it, now?

From the Rubric attached to the assignment, discussion, or quiz, click the pencil to edit the rubric.

It may warn you about the dangers of editing a rubric that has already been used. That warning only applies if you change the actual contents of the rubric, not the options.

I don't use blueprint courses, so this may or may not be an issue. If you cannot edit the rubric from the assignment, discussion, or quiz, then your course may be a blueprint course where someone else has locked down the settings. In that case, you would need to talk to the person who created the rubric. 

With all respect, making it a two-step process where I have to create another copy of the rubric FOR EACH ASSIGNMENT in order to have it calculate the grade is unacceptable.