Rubric visible when grades hidden

Jump to solution
mprogers
Community Participant

I want to hide grades so that I can grade the entire class. But when I do so, and start using the rubric, that rubric, and the comments in it are visible to students, and I am immediately besieged with comments / questions even before I've finished grading (and have a chance to go back through my grades to adjust them as needed).

Apparently this is normal behavior, according to this link. I am not really surprised, nor even disappointed, but I am frustrated and depressed that I now have to create a separate document, write all my notes there, and then paste them at the end of the process. 

There ought to be a better way. 

If there is and I'm missing it, please enlighten me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

@mprogers ...

Just to be sure, here is the process that @SusanNiemeyer recommended:

• If you want to manually post grades for all assignments in your course, click on the cog wheel icon at the top right corner of your "Grades" page.  Click on the "Grade Posting Policy" tab, and then select the radio button for "Manually Post Grades".  Click "Apply Settings".  Then, place your mouse cursor over the name of the assignment displayed in the top row of the table.  You'll see a three-dot kebab icon show up to the right of the assignment name.  Click on that kebab icon, and choose "Hide grades".  See this Guide for more details: How do I select a grade posting policy for a cours... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).
  • If you want to manually post grades just for one assignment (and not for all assignments), instead of clicking on the cog wheel icon at the top right corner of the screen, click on the kebab icon to the right of the assignment name, and this time select "Grade Posting Policy"...which will be only for that assignment.  Choose "Manually", and then click the "Save" button.  Then, "Hide grades" as described in the first bullet point.  See this Guide for more details: How do I select a grade posting policy for an assi... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

This is the Guide on how to use the "Hide grades" option: How do I hide grades that were previously posted i... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Finally, here's a video tutorial that you can look through if you like: Gradebook Overview (Instructors) - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Please let us know if either of these were the process you were following based on Susan's initial response...so that we might be able to do some more troubleshooting with you.  Thanks!

View solution in original post