Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ray_senesac

SIS ID Already in use message

Jump to solution

We have an issue in which a we cannot push out a course shell to a teacher because Canvas gives us a message that tthe SIS ID is already assigned.  The teacher had an account that was manually created, but has since been deleted; and the SIS ID is not assigned to anyone else in the system. How do we manage the Canvas system so it allows the assignment of the SIS ID within  Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nr2522

Hi,  @ray_senesac ‌.

Many items (including users and courses) are not physically deleted in Canvas. They are merely logically deleted, still existing in the database but hidden from the UI.

My recommendation is to upload a SIS Import CSV file using the "change_sis_id.csv" format shown here: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation. The old_id should be the one that you wish to reuse. For the new_id I suggest using the old one with an extra character that wouldn't appear in an actual id. I typically add an underscore at the end. After you upload, you should be able to use the old id as if it had never been used before.

(Before they introduced this CSV format, we had to reactive the old id with the object type's respective CSV format, edit it in the UI, and then delete it again.)

Best,

Nelson

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ray_senesac , I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I've shared this with the Canvas Developers‌ group in the Community to see if they can help!

Kona

nr2522

Hi,  @ray_senesac ‌.

Many items (including users and courses) are not physically deleted in Canvas. They are merely logically deleted, still existing in the database but hidden from the UI.

My recommendation is to upload a SIS Import CSV file using the "change_sis_id.csv" format shown here: SIS Import Format Documentation - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation. The old_id should be the one that you wish to reuse. For the new_id I suggest using the old one with an extra character that wouldn't appear in an actual id. I typically add an underscore at the end. After you upload, you should be able to use the old id as if it had never been used before.

(Before they introduced this CSV format, we had to reactive the old id with the object type's respective CSV format, edit it in the UI, and then delete it again.)

Best,

Nelson

ray_senesac

Thanks for the immmediate and positive outreach!  Our tech worked with our Canvas rep and they recitifid the issue. Thanks again!

@nr2522 , thank you so much for sharing this! I often have trouble with SIS IDs from "ghost" objects in Canvas . I didn't realise I could fix the problem with something as simple as a CSV import.

JustinBrooksby
Community Member

Thanks  @nr2522 ‌. Just used this advice today. Strange thing is that today I have had two cases where logins are completely deleted. The account profile is still there but no login information. I have to recreate the login but modify the old ghosted account using the SIS method you mentioned.

nr2522-

Thanks, this totally helped me out today! I couldn't figure out what was going on with this user SIS ID. 

Thank you for your post. I spent a day looking for the answer. I now like to know if there is a way to get all the ghost accounts ?

Thanks