Set assignment individually to a collection of people (not group)

RicardoEusebi
Community Member

We have very large classes with thousand of students and dozens of sections in a single canvas course.  We separate the students into two cohorts (group 1 and group 2) so that students in group 1 will be doing lab work during on-weeks and group 2 during off-weeks (so that they work in the lab is staggered).  Each group has about 500 students, but the work students do will be submitted individually. 

We want to setup the "Lab-1" assignment so that group 1 will be due at one date and group 2 at the later date. Apparently this is impossible, two options we found are:
- If we had a few students sure we could add them manually in the “Assign to:” field of the assignment with two different due dates, but we don’t, we have thousands of students with dozen of assignments. This is not an option.
- If I create a group set “Cohorts” with groups group-1 and group-2 and fill them with students, I cannot assign them in the “Assign to:” field of the assignment  unless I check the “This is group assignment” (see footnote), but this is not a group assignment; students submit individually and the submission also needs to carry the late penalty policy if they submit late after the due date. 

Question: can somebody please help and explain how to assign an assignment to a predetermined collection of people so they they can submit individually ??

Thanks much.

footnote: this is crazy to me, it is clear the functionality is there, but it seems to be an artificial limitation imposed for no good reason.

0 Likes