cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecusic
Community Member

Sharing Recorded Conferences

Jump to solution

How can I share a recorded conference? Once I have finished a conference with my students, I am unable to locate an option for sharing the recording? I am hoping to be able to use this, especially for students who were not able to join the live conversation. 

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ffdixon
Community Champion

HI Ellie,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton.  While I work at Blindside Networks, the company that provides hosting for Canvas Conferences (BigBlueButton) and can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your question.

The recording links on the Free Tier are protected.  That is, it's not possible to copy the links as they are only valid for the user who is viewing them.

There is an option ... if your school upgrades to the Premium Tier hosting, the recordings are permanent, downloadable as videos, and provide links that can be copied.

Your CSM can give you details on the upgrade if your interested to explore further.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ecusic ...

Assuming that you have recorded a Conference (BigBlueButton) session, the recording should eventually show up within your "Conferences" button in your Canvas course.  So, there shouldn't be a need to get a link to share...because students can access the recording right from within the course.  However, keep in mind that if you are using the free version of BBB, those recordings are deleted after 14 days.  (See the information in the blue box of this Guide: How do I record a conference?.)  Also, please take note of the following (also in that blue box): "Recorded conferences can only be viewed inside the course where the conference was recorded; URLs cannot be shared outside Canvas."

I hope this information will be of help to you, Ellie.  Let us know if you have any questions...thanks!

dp2dive4
Community Participant

Is there any way to share a recorded BBB Conference to another course in Canvas?  I am teaching 2 EMT courses - each with a different shell and CRN #- and I don't want to have to repeat an entire recorded lecture separately for each.

Thank you,

Dana Sullivan

Hello  @dp2dive4 ...

Keeping in mind that I am a Canvas administrator for our school's Canvas environment, and I do not teach courses...my guess is the answer is "no".  But, to be sure, I am going to tag  @ffdixon ‌ in my reply to see if he'd be able to shed some light on this question for you.  Good luck to you!

ffdixon
Community Champion

HI Ellie,

I'm the product manager for BigBlueButton.  While I work at Blindside Networks, the company that provides hosting for Canvas Conferences (BigBlueButton) and can't speak on behalf of Instructure, I can answer your question.

The recording links on the Free Tier are protected.  That is, it's not possible to copy the links as they are only valid for the user who is viewing them.

There is an option ... if your school upgrades to the Premium Tier hosting, the recordings are permanent, downloadable as videos, and provide links that can be copied.

Your CSM can give you details on the upgrade if your interested to explore further.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

View solution in original post

ecusic
Community Member

Thank you!

Dr. Ellie Cusic

Ellie Cusic, OTD, OTR/L

Assistant Professor of Occupational Therapy

College of Saint Mary

ecusic@csm.edu

(402) 384-5293

Scott26
Community Participant

The initial question was, is there a way to share a video, even for 14 days, with another section.  Nobody was asking about a permanent link, like in Studio.

Based on my frustrated experience with Canvas experts on this site, I believe the answer to the real question is "No, but maybe someday we will think about it" which really means "No, stop asking for us to add more functionality to a site your organization is paying for."