cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsmith28
Community Participant

Some grades visible despite manual posting setting

I set up an assignment to manual posting (can see the eye with the cross in the gradebook). Then, after the students submitted work, I graded their work on SpeedGrader on my iPad. When I went to post the grades, I saw that some grades had already been posted (see screenshot - red dot grades were still hidden). This is not the first time I've seen this behavior. What's going on?

346255_Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.40.28 AM.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
awilliams
Community Champion

Hi,  @jsmith28 . Would you be able to share a screenshot of the posting policy settings as well?

jsmith28
Community Participant

Hi Adam,

Here are the posting policy settings for the gradebook and the individual assignment.

Jenna

346386_Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 4.47.37 PM.png

346385_Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 4.48.01 PM.png

awilliams
Community Champion

Thank you so much Jenna! I believe the "Automatically Post Grades" setting for the assignment is what is causing the grades to post as soon as you grade them. It's possible some grades were hidden based on the "Manually" setting for the course before the assignment setting was changed and remained hidden. This guide has much more information on the nuances of posting policies, https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26500-how-do-i-use-posting-policies-in-a-course 

jsmith28
Community Participant

Hi awilliams,

I think you've mixed up the settings that are shown. The gradebook has a default setting of "Automatically Post Grades", but the assignment has a setting of "Manually". The setting for the assignment was definitely changed before I graded any of the work.

Jenna

cnapolitano
Community Participant

I have had the same issues with one of my classes.  Before the assignment is published and before any students submit any work for the assignment, I change the grade posting policy to "Manual."  However, my students tell me that they can still see all of the grades and comments I enter as soon as I enter them.  This is obviously an issue when dealing with tests and providing feedback on correct/incorrect while some students have still not taken the test and I do not want the feedback visible.