Speed grader HIGHLIGHT annotation tool not working

Jump to solution
RichardThorpe
Community Explorer

Today I was grading submitted PDF homework documents. The annotation toolbar seems to work for everything EXCEPT the HIGHLIGHT tool. I customarily highlight a text in question then use the "Point annotation" to comment. When I select the HIGHLIGHT tool it goes dim, I can select a color (also dim), but the tool is not active, won't highlight in the usual manner. As a workaround I can use the FREE DRAW tool, that works, but messy. Curiously, the problem seems to be intermittent, it worked on other assignments, same day, which leads me to suppose I'm doing something wrong, "pilot error"(?). Likewise, I opened a student PDF document that had been graded weeks earlier using the highlight tool. The highlighter now doesn't work on that, although it clearly did weeks earlier. And all the other annotation tools work on that document just fine. Closing the document, restarting Canvas, rebooting the computer, and using a different computer doesn't restore the HIGHLIGHT annotation tool. All other annotation tools work OK. Very puzzling.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @RichardThorpe 

That is odd behavior - normally if the annotations were disabled for the assignment none of the tools should be working. If it's specifically the highlight only and it works sometimes and not others - It is likely your internet browser and we recommend clearing the cache and cookies or trying another browser.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-clear-my-browser-cache-and-cookies/t...

I recommend trying some basic trouble shooting steps - different browser, clear cache, reset device, etc. If none of that appears to fix it, it would be best if you contact Canvas Support and they can take a look at the specifics of your course and assignment and provide better insight. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-contact-Canvas-Support/ta-p/389767 

View solution in original post

RichardThorpe
Community Explorer
Author

Thank you greydon. I deleted the Instructure cookies. Problem solved.

A few more details... without examining what the Instructure cookies do exactly, it appears there is some of file or object locking going on that failed to properly release that function. (power failure? improper shutdown?) I am only guessing. Our on-site ESS support team was able to verify the problem, it persisted for them, different computer on the other side of campus, that one assignment for that one specific course, and only the highlighter tool was affected. I am curious how a cookie on MY computer can affect the behavior on a different computer? I posted this in case someone else has the same issue, simple fix (delete cookie).

View solution in original post