Streaking in Canvas

Jump to solution
wjames
Community Contributor

In many modern apps (Wordle, NYT Crossword, Instagram, Brilliant, etc), rewards are given for Daily Streaks. Such rewards encourage users to regularly engage with the material, using high-frequency low-stakes activities to develop addictive habits.  I would like my students to become addicted to solving math problems on a daily basis.

Q: Is there a Canvas mechanism that rewards Daily Streaks for assignments (more than a simple "Sign In Counter")? 
Q: If not, can a mechanism be developed?
Q: Does anyone have experience using a math-oriented Daily Streak platform or LTI?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Wade

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wjames ...

Q: Is there a Canvas mechanism that rewards Daily Streaks for assignments (more than a simple "Sign In Counter")? 

To my knowledge, no.

Q: If not, can a mechanism be developed?

If you wanted Instructure (the folks that make Canvas) to develop something like this, you could submit a new idea in the Ideas and Themes space here in the Canvas Community website.  Here are some instructions for you:

How do I create a new idea in the Instructure Community?

If you knew of a third-party company that develops (or could develop) LTIs, you would have to ask that company if there are any plans to develop an LTI that would integrate with Canvas.

Q: Does anyone have experience using a math-oriented Daily Streak platform or LTI?

I'm not sure if you've had a chance to look at the EduAppCenter website, but this site lists a ton of third-party LTI apps that integrate with Canvas.  Many of them have some sort of cost associated with them, but some are free.  (You can filter your searches to see which ones are free and which are not.)

I hope this will help in some way.

View solution in original post