Student Removed From Course. Can I Recover Grades?

Jump to solution
NReynolds
Community Member

Hello,

We run a canvas integration with CAMS. When a student is added to a course or removed from a course in CAMS, they are either added or removed from the course in CANVAS. A student moved from section 1 of a course to section 2. They were changed in CAMS. The teacher is wondering if we are able to recover the grades from section 1 so he can update the student's grades in section 2 to be correct.

I attempted to add /undelete at the end of the URL, but it only showed two items that the teacher deleted as recoverable.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
distance_ed1
Community Contributor

You can handle this by manually adding the student back to the course they were removed from, exporting the student's grades, then removing the student! If you add the student by a CSV upload, they won't even get a course invitation notification, so you may be able to get it done quickly enough that no one even notices. 🙂

Our institution used to have this issue regularly, but we switched our enrollment management system to stop removing students from courses and instead just making them inactive. Solves all sorts of problems. I don't know if that's possible with CAMS, but I do recommend inquiring about it!

View solution in original post

greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @NReynolds 

Thank you for contacting the Instructure Community. There would generally be two ways to recover grades for the student. First, you could try going to the beta instance if these changes were made sometime this week. Beta will show the course from this past Sunday and you can export the gradebook as a csv, then remove the other students and import the grades back in the live instance as long as the data for the user (section ID, etc.) are corresponding correctly with their current data. Or, you can see about putting the student back in the original section in your SIS and running a sync. This should also bring the grades back that they had and you can either export these, save them, etc. and manually enter them once you switch the student back. There are likely other alternatives but you would maybe want to speak with CAMS and/or Canvas directly. Hopefully this helps.

How do I contact Canvas Support? - Instructure Community  

View solution in original post