Submission not accepting word document file

Jump to solution
INGT
Community Novice

Hello,

I am a student and need to upload my assignments in word document form (.doc not .docx). Usually at the top of the assignment it states the submission type as doc, but the assignment I am incurring an issue with has it listed as "word". I have tried to save my submission a number of different ways and nothing is accepted. Can you please let me know what is accepted when the format is solely listed as "word" or if this is something the instructor needs to address on their side of the assignment. Thank you! 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @INGT ...

When you are trying to submit your assignment, do the assignment details display the acceptable file types similar to this screen?

Screenshot 2022-06-05 150746.jpg

When you say that your instructor has the word "word" in the "File Types" area, is that what you are referring to?  If so, then your instructor has configured part of this assignment incorrectly.  Your instructor should be listing the file extensions (doc, docx, pdf, rtf, etc.) and not the actual software used to create those files.  And, I'm not sure why he would only accept *.doc files...as it's more rare now to see that file extension with Microsoft Word documents.

This is the Guide that your instructor would need to use: How do I create an online assignment? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Specifically, have your instructor look at the example under the heading "Restrict File Types" near the bottom of the Guide.

I hope this will help a bit...and hopefully you'll be able to speak with your instructor about allowing the proper file types for the assignment.  My guess is that your fellow classmates are having the same issues you are.  Good luck!

View solution in original post