Submitted assignments show as "No submission" in Speedgrader

Jump to solution
DavidHawthorn
Community Member

We have just started using Canvas this year and are having trouble with assignment submissions - significant problems that may result in us only using Canvas for this year and then looking for an alternative. We are hoping that it is user error on our part rather than a faulty platform!

The primary issue that we have is the speedgrader usually not showing that a student has submitted an assignment when they have and not showing the submitted file in the speedgrader window for marking.

The assignment inbox shows there is a submission (and lists the uploaded file name and submission date/time), analytics shows that there is a submission, but not speedgrader.

Sometimes it does work. One teacher added me as a student to their course and I submitted a google doc. My submission shows up in speedgrader, and can be viewed in speedgrader, but not the submissions of the students.

This is happening with Google Assignments and also with TurnItIn.

Any ideas?

2 Solutions
Hildi_Pardo
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think this is a matter of learning how to use Canvas, and it is true that it will take some time to learn any platform.

For this question, it sounds like you are using Google Assignments LTI 1.3.   Depending on how the teacher is setting the assignment and how the students are submitting could cause the inconsistencies.   So it's very important to help things be as consistent as possible.

Google Assignments LTI 1.3 is in integration, so since it's now a Canvas tool, they may not be able to provide much support.    But, as @masantos mentioned, if the teacher chose to do grading in Google Assignments when setting up the assignment, to products will be in Google, the grading will happen in Google, the products will be accessible from Google Assignements, but the grades will pass over to Canvas.

View solution in original post

paul_fynn
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @DavidHawthorn 

Without making assumptions about how you are choosing to use Assignments, we have a recurring issue where students attempt to submit O365 and Google Docs and end up submitting an html link rather than the document itself.

• It may be that Instructure need a more forensic examination of each file loaded to check for and warn for this ...

Our specific advice at our institution, bearing in mind that O365 configuration at institutional level also has impacts, is to recommend that students download and reload the file as pdf etc. Students can also check what they have submitted in the assignment or in their personal submissions folder (via profile).

Where this happens we arrange a technical extension which allows the student to resubmit the work in a different form without penalty.

To put your initial Canvas experience in perspective, if you count every student and every 'piece' of assessment we handle a quarter of a million student submissions per year just in our faculty alone, via Canvas and a local assignment management middleware solution.

I would estimate that our issue rate is less than 0.5 %, with the bulk of these being unpublished or incorrectly configured assignments, marginally missed deadlines etc. The only glitchy part of Canvas assignments we currently experience is New Quizzes, covered elsewhere on this forum.

View solution in original post