Syncing assignments to Powerschool worth 0 points

Jump to solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

For several years, we've had teachers create assignments worth 0 points that are used for course-level extra credit (rather than assignment extra credit). Recently, Canvas stopped syncing these assignments and I thought I found an article saying assignments weren't synced using OneRoster until there was at least one score, but I can't find that anywhere.

The Instructor FAQ for grade passback doesn't mention a score requirement for assignments to sync. Can anyone shed some light on why these won't post to Powerschool?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions
NicoletteStaley
Instructure
Instructure

@bbennett2  Because the way the PowerSchool Manages Extra Credit, the "0"-point Assignment that is normally done in Canvas isn't an option.  The easiest workaround that I know of is to make the Assignment worth 1 point total, and then award students more than 1 point on the assignment.  For the assignment not to affect the grades of the students that don't earn extra credit they could either be excused from the assignment or given 1 point as a grade on it.  PowerSchool should allow the assignment (with a total points of 1) to sync with Canvas successfully.

View solution in original post

Hello @SystemAdministr 

it might be best to submit a ticket to Canvas support on this and have them check with their SIS integrations team to see why this is not syncing over as expected. I also recall seeing something on this in the past, but I also can't seem to locate any documentation on this now. 

I would love to know what they find out as I am also curious about this. 

Let us know what you find out on this! 

-Colton 

View solution in original post

0 Likes