cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Crozier

Thumbnails of YouTube Video Links?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I post a lot of links to YouTube videos in my Canvas class. In the past when I did this, it would automatically include a thumbnail of the video along with the text link. Now, the thumbnails don't appear anymore.

Does anyone know how to get the thumbnails to automatically appear each time? 
I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks,

Matt

2 Solutions

Hello there, @Crozier ...

Do you ever harvest the YouTube embed code that is provided for most videos on their website?  I much prefer this method as it doesn't provide a thumbnail, but rather it displays a large video box where the video will play on the screen.  There are some ways that you can display your YouTube videos on your pages given in this Guide:  How do I link to a YouTube video in the Rich Conte... - Canvas Community.

View solution in original post

johnwsmunro

There are two options that I have found. One is to use the embed code which places a large video image on your screen. I was interested in using the thumbnails as I have in the past for organizing several videos on a page. Aesthetically, it was not working for me to simply embed a whole bunch of videos.  The fix I found was in the HTML code which you can access by selecting </> on the bottom right of your edit screen.

There is now some extra embedded code that precedes your shared code

</td>
<td style="width: 49.9256%;">
<a class= "inline disabled" href="https://youtu.be/tcG1_TvfJpE" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Tidal Twister</a>&nbsp;

Use the find Find Function (Ctl-F) to locate "inline" or "disabled". Delete the code in front of your Video links and then save.

Hope that makes sense

</td>
<a class="" href="https://youtu.be/tcG1_TvfJpE" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Tidal Twister</a>&nbsp;

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @Crozier - With the New Rich Content Editor, I see the previews display after I press save. What do you experience after you save your page/content?

0 Kudos
deannalloyd

I am having the same issue as Matt. Thumbnails are no longer appearing if I link to a YouTube video.  

Cheers,
Deanna

0 Kudos

I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue, it is frustrating.

My pages used to look so nice, with the thumbnails. It looked like a webpage, like YouTube or Netflix.

You could tell what the video was about by the picture.

Now, it is just a line of text. It is very boring looking and not helpful to the students.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos

Hello there, @Crozier ...

Do you ever harvest the YouTube embed code that is provided for most videos on their website?  I much prefer this method as it doesn't provide a thumbnail, but rather it displays a large video box where the video will play on the screen.  There are some ways that you can display your YouTube videos on your pages given in this Guide:  How do I link to a YouTube video in the Rich Conte... - Canvas Community.

Thanks, this does work! I figured out how to embed the code. It takes more steps, but it does the same thing in the end.

My pages look nice again. Thanks for the help!!!

johnwsmunro

There are two options that I have found. One is to use the embed code which places a large video image on your screen. I was interested in using the thumbnails as I have in the past for organizing several videos on a page. Aesthetically, it was not working for me to simply embed a whole bunch of videos.  The fix I found was in the HTML code which you can access by selecting </> on the bottom right of your edit screen.

There is now some extra embedded code that precedes your shared code

</td>
<a class= "inline disabled" href="https://youtu.be/tcG1_TvfJpE" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Tidal Twister</a>&nbsp;

Use the find Find Function (Ctl-F) to locate "inline" or "disabled". Delete the code in front of your Video links and then save.

Hope that makes sense

</td>
<a class="" href="https://youtu.be/tcG1_TvfJpE" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Tidal Twister</a>&nbsp;