Time Delay between Quiz Retakes

Jump to solution
hshaw1
Community Explorer

The purpose of offering second attempts at quizzes is to give students a chance to learn the material more thoroughly. However, I find that a subset of students take the second attempt within a minute and clearly guess at the answer. The behavior is self-defeating. 
I would like to have the quiz remain closed for a period of time before they can take it again. Is this possible?

(And if you have ideas about why this might be problematic for students, I'm open to listening.)

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @hshaw1 ...

This is absolutely possible...if you are using New Quizzes.  I don't believe this is a feature of current Classic Quizzes.  Here is how to tell the difference between the two interfaces if you are not familiar with New Quizzes.

The New Quizzes interface may not yet be available to you and your colleagues just yet.  You may need to reach out to folks at Yakima Valley College such as their Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education department or their Canvas administrator to see what their plans are for making New Quizzes available to you and your colleagues (or maybe it's already available).  I found this page on their website which has some contact information for you:

Online Learning - Academics (yvcc.edu)

Also, this Guide shows you the options for setting a period of time between attempts on New Quizzes (scroll about 3/4 the way down the page, and look for the section on "Allow Multiple Attempts"):

How do I manage settings for a quiz in New Quizzes... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post