Time zone

Jump to solution
dburges1
Community Member

I have changed my time zone to eastern standard time, but three of my seven students still show mountain time for their quiz and exam available times.  Why is their time remaining on mountain time while the other 4 students changed to the desired eastern standard time?   

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@dburges1 ...

There are actually three different places that time zones can be configured in Canvas.  The first place is set by your school's local Canvas administrator at your school...and this would typically be the time zone where your school is located.  For example, I live in Wisconsin, and we have three main campuses.  We are in the Central Time Zone, so we set our Canvas account for that time zone.  How do I set details for an account? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  The second place time zones can be set are at the course level.  So, for example, you could have a course's default time zone set to something different than what your school's Canvas account time zone is set at.  How do I set a time zone for a course? - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)  Finally, every user (instructor, student, admin, etc.) can set their own individual time zone setting depending on where they live.  This way, Canvas figures out things like due dates for assignments so that whatever you set on your end is calculated for the specific time zone that the person is in.  Here are the Guides for that: How do I set a time zone in my user account as an ... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com) and How do I set a time zone in my user account as a s... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post