Total grade not calculating correctly for a few students

Jump to solution
JolieBeth23
Community Explorer

The gradebook is not calculating a score correctly for just a handful of students, and I can't figure out why. One of my weighted categories is Learning Engagement/Classwork. As of right now at the beginning of the year, only one assignment in that category (worth 5 points) is graded for every student.

For most of the students in my gradebook, that weighted category is showing it's the only grade entered and being calculated for them toward their total. (5/5, for example.)

BUT, for about 5 students, that weighted category is showing that it should be calculated out of 25 total points graded in that category so far, not 5. (So, a student who has a 5 - perfect score in the one assignment graded - is getting a grade calculated on percentage of 5/25 in that weighted category and not 5/5 as it should be.)

I can't figure out why it's doing this for just a few students. I've double-checked the assignment settings to make sure the total points I assigned are correct. I've checked the assignment weights. For the students where it's being calculated incorrectly, there is no inadvertent 0 put on another assignment. The gradebook looks exactly the same for them as it does the vast majority of students whose grades are being calculated correctly. It makes no sense that this is happening for a very small number of students, and I can't figure out why. 

See attached screenshots that show how two different students are having that category calculated. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JolieBeth23
Community Explorer
Author

I figured it out. I had put in a "0" for a missing assignment, and then the student submitted the assignment. In the gradebook view, the icon for submission was showing, not the 0. But, when I went into speed grader, the 0 was still there and being calculated. 

View solution in original post