Uploading video to portfolio

Jump to solution
Leeeonie
Community Member

I need to upload a video to my portfolio, but ...

- There is no 'share' button underneath the video in My Media, to get a link to embed it in the rich content editor.

- I do not have the options in the rich content editor to insert the video which I uploaded in My Media; not in tools, there is no plug logo either, and it doesn't show when I click the three dots.

And needs to be embedded... How can I get the option in the rich content editor to upload the video from My Media? Or how do I get the share button for the link in My Media, without uploading it to a course (cause that's not what I want)? 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @Leeeonie ...

You mentioned the "My Media" folder.  It's my understanding that the "My Media" folder is part of the Kaltura third-party application that can be integrated with a school's Canvas environment.  While I have never used Kaltura myself, this video shows an example of the "My Media" folder in the Kaltura interface when it is integrated with Canvas:

All that being said, I am not really sure if there is any way to add any media from Kaltura into your portfolio.  I am going to tag @chriscas in this posting because I am hopeful that he might be able to help answer this question with more detail...as he was the one who confirmed (in a separate topic here in the Community) earlier this month that "My Media" was, in fact, part of Kaltura.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Good luck in your quest to find an answer to your question!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @Leeeonie,

I'm going to guess you are a student (I'm just a normal user here in the community without any super access or anything), am I correct?

If so, I think you'll want to reach out to your school's Online/Digital Education/eLearning department to see if they'd be willing to make the share tab in My Media visible in Canvas or from another site.  Kaltura is a very feature-rich tool, and there are actually a lot of different ways schools can approach this.  In my institution's case, we have what's called a Mediaspace site (separate from Canvas), where users can log in and get to their My Media area and have a share tab there which would allow them to embed the video almost anywhere on the web.  This can also be configured for the Canvas integration, but there are some security and access concerns that may come into play and make your school take a similar approach that we did.  It's possible this is already set up on their end and they just need to tell you the site to go to!

I hope this helps, even though I realize it's not as direct of an answer as you may have been hoping to get.

-Chris

View solution in original post