cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klyons
Community Member

Viewing grade statistics

I have posted the grades for an exam 1 to the grade book. How do I view exam 1 grade statistics for the class (average, distribution, etc.)?

6 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@klyons , if you entered the exam grades then I’m guessing the students didn’t take the exam in Canvas. If that’s correct then you can’t really get any of the information you’re looking for from Canvas. The best you could do is download your gradebook and open it up in excel and do some of these calculations there. 

Let me know now if you’d like more information on how to do this!

Kona

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there,  @klyons ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on September 30, 2018.  It looks like  @kona  was able to provide you some feedback the next day.  Have you had an opportunity to review her response?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with this question?  If you feel that Kona's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to her response.  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well so that someone might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Kim.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

mahung
Community Participant

It's ridiculous to have to download the entire gradebook just to generate the statistics in Excel for a particular assignment or exam. It shouldn't matter that the exam grades are entered manually. Canvas allows you to sort based on those grades, why not generate basic statistics for them?

jodi_kawagoe
Community Participant

In the old version of Gradebook, you could see the statistics for any assignment. That seems to be missing in the new Gradebook. WHY?

bosborne
Community Member

Chiming in with another ask for this in the new gradebook. Is there really not a way to get this information out of Canvas without downloading it into Excel anymore? Why in the world would this have been removed? I have large classes with multiple TAs and course sites and want to look at averages across different sections for the assignments. Having to download this into Excel for every section every time adds a ton of extra work on my end. Please bring this back. 

(To be clear, I do understand how to download the grade book into Excel, and how to use formulas in Excel. But going from one click in each site to a multi-step process of downloads, file saves, and calculations for every assignment takes a lot of extra time.)

mbiehl
Community Participant

This REALLY should be a standard feature.