Weighted grades for different sections

Jump to solution
IcedCoffeePlz
Community Member

Hi all! 
I’m an Instructional Technologist and I have a faculty member teaching a 400/600 course and wants to have his weighted grades set up differently for the undergrads. I can assign things based on these sections, but want to make sure students don’t get impacted by the weighted grade set up. I have an idea if anyone can confirm if it would work? 
If I have all of the homework, for instance, assigned to everyone and worth 20%, then have a quiz assigned to Grad students worth 30% and another quiz assigned to UG students worth 20%, would Canvas be calculating the final grades so UG would only be seeing 40% of their grade associated with this example (or would Canvas be factoring in that other 30% of the G assignment group?)? 

I hope this makes sense. Any help or questions for clarify is appreciated! 
Thanks!! 

0 Likes
1 Solution
blopes
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @IcedCoffeePlz 

Students' totals are only based on graded assignments. If they don't have a graded assignment under a group, then that group's percentage won't count for them. Only the groups that they have grades in will calculate. However, they will see on their grades page the totals for each assignment group. 

I would advise you to test this first and see if would work as you need it to. Since it is not the intended use for the groups Canvas can't guarantee the expected behavior. 

How do I weight the final course grade based on assignment groups? 

View solution in original post