What does this phrase means: Error retrieving assignment external tools

Jump to solution
CATHSEVIDAL
Community Member

The phrase "Error retrieving assignment external tools" has pop-out right after I have submitted my assignment. Does this error affects the assignment that I have submitted? Will it cause error on the answers I filled in with that certain assignment? Thank you. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi @CATHSEVIDAL 

Welcome to the Canvas Community.  This is a public discussion board for Canvas users from different schools all over the world.

Canvas allows instructors to connect to external sites like Pearson MyLabs or McGraw-Hill Connect to carry out assignments, and have the grade for that assignment sent back to Canvas.  The message indicates that this particular assignment is coming from a site like that outside of Canvas, but that there's a problem with the assignment.

You'll want to report the issue to your instructor, since we don't have any access to the assignment, so we can't tell you whether your submission was successfully recorded on whatever external site the assignment is coming from.

View solution in original post

greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @CATHSEVIDAL 

In addition to what @mzimmerman stated, this message means that the external application your teacher is using for the assignment is having an error. It doesn't necessarily mean that your assignment wasn't submitted successfully, but could just be a loading error with the external application. On the other hand, it could be more serious and means that your assignment wasn't successfully uploaded to their servers. It would be best to check if the assignment was submitted on Canvas first:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-know-when-my-assignment-has-been-submitted...

If you don't see that it was submitted, you should reach out to your teacher and check that there isn't an issue. There are many, many applications and they all function differently. You also could speak with Canvas directly but I would start by checking if it was submitted and speaking with your teacher. Hopefully this helps! 

View solution in original post